Monday, August 31, 2009

A few words for the heart and soul

A couple quotes that have always helped me and may be of some comfort to others...

"The ocean of suffering is immense, but if you turn around, you can see the land."

"The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but do not wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy."

"When one tree in the garden is sick, you have to care for it. But do not overlook all the healthy trees."

"Even while you have pain in your heart, you can enjoy the many wonders of life - the beautiful sunset, the smile of a child, the many flowers and trees. To suffer is not enough. Please do not be imprisoned by your suffering."

-Thich Nhat Hanh, Buddhist monk

For anyone who has not read this man's work I highly recommend it. A zen master, poet, teacher, mystic, scholar and activist. His words can be very soothing to the soul. He had once been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. Great quotes. Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving kind words. I hope your blog is as therapeutic for you as mine has been for me.

    ReplyDelete

I crave feedback. Please let me know what you think and feel.